The start of a new calendar gives us a chance to make changes for the better.
Try a different type of resolution this year. Let a little “hygge” into your life!
Hygge (pronounced hue-gah) is a lifestyle concept from Denmark that roughly means a taking comfort in your environment and making everyday things and experiences special. Hygge is often associated with the belief that the Danish people are the happiest in the world, because hygge is lovingly embraced and woven into the fabric of their lives.
Hygge transpires when we slow down and enjoy the tranquility of a moment. We start to feel cozy when our surroundings calm us and when we create an environment that delights us. Hygge happens when we start to just let go.
Here are a few ways that you hygge, slow down and enjoy the little pleasures in life.
- Take more quiet time for yourself. If it helps, put it in your planner or calendar.
- Pamper yourself. Allow yourself to take the time to draw a hot bath, light some candles and soak in pure relaxation.
- Enjoy the creature comforts of your home. Try cuddling up in your favorite chair with some cocoa and a magazine.
- Fill your home with delicious aromas. Light some new candles or consider simmering a few cinnamon sticks, water, and cloves.
- Spend time on things that you really care about. Pick up an old hobby that you loved or try something new!
- Take strides against reducing your stress. Remember, something as simple as changing your attitude can change your stress level.
- Simplify your life. Make an effort to streamline your home and work tasks.
- Enjoy nature. Weather you live in the Midwest or on the west coast there is never a bad time to go for a walk.
- Make your home a little more comfy. Choose a room or two in your home and add a little cozy. Try putting out some fuzzy blankets or soft pillows.
- Connect with your loved ones. Take time this new year to reunite and spend time with those that you love.
Think about the things that give you that cozy feeling inside, weather it is playing with your kids or reading your favorite book. Try and make that happy hygge feeling last all year long.
A New Year brings new grace for new accomplishments. –Author Lailah Gifty Akita